How to Change Emotions [if you WANT to]
If you’re experiencing an emotion that is not serving you or standing in the way of your goals or effectiveness, Dr. Marsha Linehan prescribes a 3 step system to help:
1. Every emotion has an action, and it’s different for every emotion.
2. Change the emotion by changing the action.
- Gently Avoid (leave the situation without causing a scene)
- Be Decent, and if possible, be a little kind
- Try to be empathetic – think about what the other person might be thinking/feeling. This is more effective at getting what you want than getting angry and acting in anger.