As many of my readers know – I don’t just attend DBT (Dialectical Behavior Therapy), but I have adopted the principles and concepts and integrated them into my life on a regular, daily basis. This happened pretty naturally, as I saw success after success and improvements in my life in so many areas, including my ability to regulate my emotions and to be able to handle stressors that in the past would have triggered me into crisis.
While I still have lots of room for growth in all areas (especially in creating and keeping relationships with others), I am often touched by how my peers in group look to me for examples and for help in further understanding our DBT homework assignments.
This has extended to my BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder) twitter family, where we talk about our challenges and support each other.
I am here for you, too! If you have difficulty with a particular DBT homework assignment, please feel free to ask for my support. I am a peer, not a doctor or therapist, so my ideas are coming from a co-patient perspective and should never be construed as medical advice or as diagnosing or treating any type of ailment or disorder. It would be as if I were sitting next to you in group/class, and you asked how I would go about a particular assignment. Ask your therapist if they think my peer support would be helpful to you at this time.
Every Wednesday night (Pacific Time), I will go through any emails that I receive that are specific to DBT assignments, and I will get back to as many people as possible.
Please include in your email (just copy and paste this list into your email to me and answer each item):
- What module you are studying (Emotion Regulation, Distress Tolerance, Interpersonal Effectiveness, or Mindfulness)?
- How long have you been in DBT?
- Your question, as specifically as possible
- The specific handout name/number that you are working on, for example: Emotion Regulation Handout 1a
- Not required, but if you can scan and attach the worksheet, that would be very helpful.
- IMPORTANT: Please let me know if I may use your situation/homework as an example while keeping your identity confidential!!! This is a way for you to “pay it forward,” allowing others to learn from what you learn during this assignment.