In DBT (Dialectical Behavior Therapy) class, we are back on the skill of Opposite (to emotion) Action in the Emotion Regulation module.
- Your life or that of someone you care about, OR
- Your health or that of someone you care about, OR
- Your well-being or that of someone you care about” ( from the video Opposite Action: Changing Emotions You Want to Change by Dr. Marsha Linehan/ Behavioral Tech, LLC.)
- Every emotion has an action/An emotion motivates you to do something.
- If an emotion causes an action, you can change the action by action by changing the emotion (and vice versa.)
- It doesn’t always work. (My doctor said that it will work whenever the emotion is not justified by the situation.)
- Identify Emotion
- Identify the action of the emotion
- Ask yourself if you want to change the emotion.
- Determine the Opposite Action of the Emotion.
- Do the Opposite Action.
In what situations?
Was it helpful?