- A personal share of my own experience growing up in an “invalidating environment.”
- Why do we “attract” chaos, drama , and crises into our lives if we’ve had trauma in childhood?
- How it can seem “crazy” or difficult to understand for loved ones of those of us with borderline personality disorder, BPD traits, or emotional sensitivity.
- How do we overcome this over time? (Building trust, confidence, and self-respect in ourselves, believing we deserve to have stability…)
- How it can help to have a willingness to admit having an issue of getting caught up in patterns of chaos and distress when triggered or emotionally dysregyulated.
- Need to “reprogram” those “old tapes” — those messages we’ve come to believe out of a survival response.
- Why I used to go to the emergency room all of the time when I was extremely dysregulated emotionally (and what I discovered as I started to get better).
- How I initially shut down and felt invalidated when loved ones told me, “You’re creating this — you’re doing this to yourself.”
- Compassionately approaching ourselves with curiosity when we’re unskillful and have the urge or actually do act on self-sabotaging behavior.
Learn more from Debbie in her worldwide, online DBT skills classes at emotionallysensitive.com